Five M’sians injured in Egypt crash

  • Nation
  • Monday, 30 Dec 2019

PETALING JAYA: The Foreign Affairs Ministry will render assistance in bringing back a Malaysian family of five involved in an accident in Egypt, says Wisma Putra.

The victims suffered various injuries in the road crash which occurred at about 11am local time on Saturday.

“They were on their way to Hurghada from Cairo.

“They were rushed to the Suez Canal Hospital and Children Hospital in Cairo for treatment, ” it said in a statement yesterday.

It added the Malaysian Embassy in Cairo was extending the necessary consular assistance to the victims and would continue to monitor their development.

In Kuantan yesterday, Foreign Minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah said among matters being looked into by the Malaysian Embassy in Cairo was to ensure that the family received appropriate medical care at a reasonable rate.

“We will also help to get flight tickets for them to return home, ” he told reporters when met after the Back To School programme at SMK Tengku Panglima Perang Indera Mahkota.

Saifuddin also said the government would assist in repatriating the remains of a Malaysian teenager, Mohammad Farhan Fudhail Mohammad Farid, who died in a skateboarding incident in Townsville, Queensland, Australia on Saturday.

The mother of the 16-year-old boy, known as Natasha, confirmed the incident to Bernama when contacted from here yesterday morning.

She said they were now in the process of bringing home the remains.

Australian media reported that Mohammad Farhan Fudhail, who hailed from Kuantan, was skateboarding downhill with friends before crashing into a pole.

According to the report which quoted Queensland police, the teenager, who was wearing a helmet during the 2.30pm incident, was in a critical condition when paramedics arrived at the scene at Jezzine Barracks, North Ward.

The teenager was in Australia for a holiday with his family.

Foreign Ministry secretary-general Datuk Seri Muhammad Shahrul Ikram Yaakob said Wisma Putra had contacted Natasha, and efforts to bring the body back to Malaysia was being carried out by the Malaysian High Commission in Canberra.

“The victim’s mother is still waiting for the post-mortem results, and the body is expected to be brought back to Malaysia via Malaysia Airlines, ” he said when contacted by Bernama.

Article type: free
User access status:

Did you find this article insightful?


Across The Star Online