KUALA LUMPUR: The Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) has filed an appeal against a High Court decision in dismissing an application by the prosecution to forfeit a sum of RM1.15mil that was seized from Kedah Umno liaison committee and Habib Jewels Sdn Bhd.The money had been frozen by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission for being allegedly related to the 1Malaysia Development Bhd scandal.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Abdul Rashid Sulaiman told reporters that the notice of appeal was filed at the Court of Appeal on Dec 16.
“The prosecution also applied to postpone the execution of the order for the return of the property to the respondents, namely Kedah Umno and Habib Jewels, on Dec 20, ” he said after the case management before High Court deputy registrar Mahyudin Mohmad Som yesterday.
Kedah Umno and Habib Jewels claimed that the monies, amounting RM1.05mil and RM100,000, respectively, were received from former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.
Abdul Rashid said the court also ordered Kedah Umno to file an affidavit-in-reply on the prosecution’s application for a stay of the order for the return of the monies by Jan 7, while Habib Jewels was given until Jan 14 to do so.
The court then set Jan 7 for management of the case involving Kedah Umno, represented by lawyer R. Hanita, and Feb 5 for Habib Jewels, represented by lawyer Gooi Yong Shuh.
On Dec 13, High Court judge Justice Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali dismissed the application by the prosecution to forfeit RM1.15mil that was seized from Kedah Umno and Habib Jewels on grounds that the prosecution had failed to prove its civil forfeiture cases against the two entities. — Bernama
Did you find this article insightful?