Bogus cops who extorted money from foreign workers arrested in Butterworth

  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 17 Dec 2019

KEPALA BATAS: The police have arrested four suspects for the unauthorised possession of a police uniform and a walkie-talkie.

North Seberang Prai OCPD Asst Comm Noorzainy Mohd Noor said the suspects are aged 19 to 36 and were arrested on Dec 14 at Taman Mesra, Butterworth by a police patrol team during Ops Cantas after they were found behaving suspiciously in a car.

ACP Noorzainy said the men also admitted that they had been targeting foreign workers for the last two months in the Seberang Prai area.

"Their modus operandi is to extort money from foreign workers. They will go to their house and identify themselves as police officers and ask for money from their victims," he said during a press conference at the North Seberang Prai police headquarters in Bertam on Tuesday (Dec 17).

ACP Noorzainy added that the suspects also admitted that they used to extort as much as RM70,000 from foreigners in their activities.

All suspects have been remanded from Dec 15 until Dec 18 and the case is being investigated under Section 170 of the Penal Code for police impersonation.

In another case, the police arrested a 23-year-old suspect last Friday (Dec 13) in connection with a spate of robberies at 7-Eleven outlets around north Seberang Prai.

With the arrest, police believe they have solved four robberies at the outlets since November this year.

The police have also arrested a 44-year-old man on Saturday (Dec 14) for possessing a homemade air gun during Ops Cantas.

ACP Noorzainy said the man was detained at his house in Kampung Setol, Kepala Batas.

He said the suspect has a previous drug record, adding that he admitted that the home-made air gun is used to shoot animals that encroached his ketum farm.

"The case is being investigated under Section 36 of the Firearm Act 1960 and the suspect has been remanded from Dec 15 until Dec 18," he said.

On another arrest, Asst Comm Noorzainy said a 32-year-old man tried to evade police arrest by trying to kill himself at his flat at Tambhy Kecik.

In the 5pm incident on Saturday the suspect, who was believed to be mentally unstable, was stopped by police after he was suspected of riding a stolen motorcycle.

Fearing arrest, the suspect fled and hid at his house.

The police gave chase and upon arriving at the suspect's house, the suspect refused to surrender.

"At that time, the suspect was holding a knife and slashed his own neck, however the suspect survived due to the quick reactions of policemen," he said.

Asst Comm Noorzainy said the suspect was being treated at Hospital Seberang Jaya and received 30 stitches to his neck.

The suspect also admitted to have been involved in at least 10 cases in the district and has a prior record as a mentally unstable patient at a psychiatric centre in Jalan Perak.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Next In Nation

Covid-19: Umno deputy permanent chairman at critical stage
Man claims trial to charge of using unrecognised 'Dato' title
Covid-19: ICU beds reach almost 90% capacity in Klang Valley, 74% nationwide, says Health DG
Nine-year-old boy drowns in monsoon drain, another still missing
Police looking for man over viralled domestic violence incident
Four men issued compound in Port Dickson for SOP violation
‘Low-risk patients can stay in hotels’
‘Opt for self-quarantine if no serious symptoms’
An ‘exceptionally long’ SRC appeal hearing ends
KJ: States can buy vaccines

Stories You'll Enjoy