PUTRAJAYA: Immigration authorities will find out if the 40 Chinese nationals caught in Ipoh were part of the scam syndicate whose operations in Cyberjaya were crippled last month.
Its director-general Datuk Khairul Dzaimee Daud said his officers would question the suspects to determine the case.
“Yes, their activities are the same but we have to investigate before we can say for sure whether they are the ones who escaped from our raid in Cyberjaya, ” he said.
During the Cyberjaya blitz last month, about 100 Chinese nationals managed to flee.
In the operation, the Immigration Department arrested 680 Chinese nationals who were operating from a six-storey building.
The group is believed to have been operating in Malaysia for about six months and that the building, with guards stationed at each floor, was used as a call centre.
On Monday, the Perak Immigration Department arrested 40 Chinese nationals, including two women, believed to be involved in online scams as authorities found 80 mobile phones, 31 personal computers, seven Internet routers, credit cards, cash in various currencies and one passport.
On the 680 Chinese nationals arrested in Cyberjaya, Khairul Dzaimee said the suspects had their remand extended for another 14 days from Dec 4, adding that investigations into violation of immigration laws – not having valid passports or documents, overstaying and misuse of pass – were ongoing.
Last month, 104 Chinese nationals were arrested for being part of an online scam syndicate in Kota Kinabalu.