KOTA KINABALU: All educators have been warned that they will face strict action if they commit disciplinary offences, following allegations of a headmaster sending improper messages to students in Telipok, some 21km from here.
Sabah Education and Innovation Minister Datuk Dr Yusof Yacob said while disciplinary investigations were being conducted by both the ministry and police, the male headmaster is still allowed to work.
“This being such a serious case that involves public interest, we have to make sure that everything we do in the probe is correct and according to the law, ” he said when met at the Sabah State Assembly compound here on Tuesday (Nov 19).
He said this will be a warning for every educator out there that stern action will be taken against offenders, as they do not want such actions jeopardising the ministry or the education system.
Dr Yusof said educators have a responsibility to protect those under their care, and that they will not hesitate to expel those involved.
“From the information I’ve received, there are two students who have claimed to be victims, but there could be more, ” he said.
He said it was best to wait for investigations to complete before making further speculations on the case.
It was recently reported that parents of students from the secondary school are riled up after finding out about the alleged text messages to their sons.
The messages were purportedly sent starting last month (October) and some earlier than that, beginning with innocent questions before the texts got more intimate.
A lawyer, Valentino James Tanggar, who has decided to help the parents pro bono, has urged the authorities to conduct their investigations without bias or fear.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!