ALOR SETAR: Kedah DAP suffered a minor setback when one of its divisions was disbanded after its pro-tem chairman Ong Keen Tong quit his party post on Thursday.
Ong, 53, who was Kuala Nerang DAP division pro-tem chairman, told The Star that he has also resigned from the party as a life-long member as he was frustrated with the state party leadership.“What use is it for us to be DAP members anymore if the party cannot help us? It is better if we disband the party and quit.
“Fifty members from the division have also quit the party as a sign of protest to the state DAP leadership, ” he claimed.
The Kuala Nerang DAP division was established after May 9, last year and Ong was appointed as its pro-tem chairman since then.
The turmoil began after a gas station owned by Ong’s deputy Liew Han Eng was demolished on Sunday to give way for the Kedah Rubber City at Kampung Padang Cederai in Kuala Nerang.
Ong said although he had gone to see the party leadership before the demolition exercise to ask for an extension, the demolition went ahead and Liew had not been compensated since.
He said the reason given for the demolition was that the land had been categorised as an agriculture site under the previous Barisan Nasional state government and that any business property that was erected on the land would not be given any compensation as it had breached the rules of the Land Act.
Ong, however, claimed that a similar case had happened in 2005 during the expansion of the Durian Burung federal road, but the owner of the gas station had received RM400,000 in compensation.
He added that Liew was also frustrated with the way the Pakatan Harapan government had treated them and decided to follow in his footsteps by resigning from all party positions and as a DAP life-long member.
“Both of us have also quit from our positions as Padang Terap District Council councillors, ” Ong said.
When contacted, Kedah DAP chairman Tan Kok Yew said he has not received any official resignation letter from both Ong and Liew.
“I have no idea about the resignation. I have not received any letter from them so far, ” he said.
He also said those affected by the recent demolition exercise have the right to bring their cases to court.
“Let the court decide on the matter, ” he said.
“The best way to vent their frustration is to find the right way in solving the matter.”