KOTA KINABALU: About a thousand Sabah Civil Defence Force personnel members are all set to face any eventualities from the northeast monsoon which started late last month and will last till March.
While no natural disasters have been reported yet, several districts in the west coast have been identified as potential flood zones, namely Kota Kinabalu, Penampang, Putatan, Papar, Tuaran and Kota Belud.
State director Colonel Kamal Mokhtar in a statement on Thursday (Nov 7), said the impact of the monsoon on the interior districts of Beaufort and Kuala Penyu, as well as other districts, would be based on wind direction and pattern.
"The assigned teams are ready to be activated within the first four hours of any natural disasters, while the hours after that will be based on the needs arising from the disaster.
"The Civil Defence Force personnel are those who are skilled and physically and mentally prepared, as they have undergone training to face any type of disaster.
"Every Civil Defence Force district state-wide has been supplied with sufficient equipment and logistics to carry out their duties during disasters, and our officers in all districts have also briefed the communities on our functions," he said.
"Sabah Civil Defence Force has also ensured the upkeep of assets to be used during operations, namely 14 units of 4x4 vehicles, six units of 3-tonne lorries, eight units of 5-tonne lorries and 192 boats of various sizes.
"These assets are ready to go when needed," he added.
Kamal reminded the public to contact the nearest Civil Defence Force office should they require assistance during disasters.