Flood evacuees on the rise nationwide


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 26 Oct 2019

KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama): More people have been evacuated to relief centres nationwide on Saturday (Oct 26) morning compared to Friday (Oct 25) night after their houses were inundated by floodwaters.

Several new temporary relief centres (PPS) have also been opened in several flood-hit states.

In Johor, 55 flood victims from 13 families are still housed at two PPS in Batu Pahat as at 8am on Saturday.

State Local Government, Urban Wellbeing and Environment Committee chairman Tan Chen Choon said the number remained unchanged since yesterday afternoon, involving residents from Kampung Sungai Kajang, Bagan and areas around Batu Pahat Farmers Complex in Tongkang Pechah.

Sixteen victims from three families are now housed at the PPS at Sekolah Kebangsan (SK) Sungai Kajang and 39 others from 10 families at SK Seri Binjai, he said in a statement.

On Friday, 159 victims from 36 families were evacuated to two PPS in Pontian, but all of them had been allowed to return home late last night.

In Negeri Sembilan, the number of flood victims evacuated in Jelebu increased slightly to 166 from 49 families at 8am on Saturday from 162 people from 47 families on Friday night.

They were housed at five PPS here.

Jelebu Disater Management Committee Secretariat in a statement here today said the relief centres were at Kampung Poum Mosque, Kampung Chennah community hall, Kampung Juntai community hall, Simpang Durian multi-purpose hall and Kampung Jerang Mosque.

All the centres were opened since early Saturday.

The victims were from Kampung Telekong, Kampung Chennah, Kampung Juntai, Kampung Simpang Durian and Kampung Jerang.

In Selangor, the number of flood victims evacuated to the PPS in Kuala Selangor has more than doubled to 293 as at 8am on Saturday compared to 133 on Friday night.

A Smart Selangor Command Center (SSCC) spokesman said the PPS at the Desa Coalfields MDKS community hall is currently providing shelter to 91 victims from 24 families, while 164 other victims from 46 families are taking shelter at Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Parit Mahang.

"Thirty-eight evacuees from 10 families at Jaya Setia PPS had to be removed to SK Jaya Setia at 9.30 pm on Friday, ” he told Bernama.

Meanwhile, Selangor Fire and Rescue Department director Norazam Khamis said that continuous heavy rain since Friday afternoon has also caused the river in Sungai Buloh to overflow.

He said that the Selangor Drainage and Irrigation Department, however, had provided a pump near the river to pump the river water out to prevent the flood situation from getting worse.

In Perak, the number of people affected by floods in Kerian has risen to 112 as at 8 am on Saturday from only 84 on Friday.

The victims, from 26 families, are currently housed at the PPS at Sekolah Kebangsaan Changkat Lobak, which was opened since Monday (Oct 21).

Meanwhile, another PPS has been opened at Kampung Teras community hall in Ijok near Batu Kurau, Selama, following the landslide yesterday.

It was reported that the landslide had affected three houses and claimed the life of a senior citizen.

Selama district police chief DSP Mohd Sabri Saad identified the victim as Hanudin Bahazim, 60.

He said the landslide occurred at about 6pm and was believed to have been triggered by heavy rain.

"Hanudin’s body was recovered from the kitchen of the house at about 10.31pm, ” he said.

In Penang, the number of flood evacuees in the state has also risen to 124 on Saturday morning from only 31 on Friday, with two more relief centres opened in Seberang Perai Tengah.

According to State Welfare, Caring Society and Environment Committee chairman Phee Boon Poh, the two newly opened relief centres are at Bukit Teh and Tok Suboh PPR community halls.

"Fifteen victims, including a baby, from five families are currently housed at Bukit Teh community hall, while 83 others including three babies from 25 families are at Tok Suboh PPR community hall, ” he said.

The relief centre at Kampung Manggis Kemas kindergarten which has been open since last Tuesday was still providing shelter to 26 evacuees from seven families, he added. - Bernama


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online