KUALA LUMPUR: Fifty-six of the 66 persons of interest, whose mugshots were circulated earlier in connection with the death of fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim, are required to come forward as soon as possible, says Comm Datuk Huzir Mohamed.
The mugshots were released late last year. So far, only 10 of them have presented themselves to the police, said the Bukit Aman CID director.
“We are giving them time to come forward but if they failed to do so, we will release their mugshots again, ” he said at a press conference in Bukit Aman yesterday.
Comm Huzir said police would also call up two expert witnesses – Prof Shahrom Abd Wahif and Dr Amir Radzi Ab Ghani – to record their statements pertaining to the investigation.
Following the Coroner’s Court ruling, Comm Huzir said the police have received instructions from the Attorney General’s Chambers on Oct 4 to continue their investigations into Adib’s death.
On the speculation that four men detained earlier were connected to Adib’s death, Comm Huzir clarified that they were not involved.
“The four men were among those who were detained for rioting, trespass and causing mischief by fire at MCT tower last year, ” he said.
The Coroner’s Court ruled that Adib’s death was caused by two or more persons unknown. Coroner judge Rofiah Mohamad read her judgment after 41 days of inquest proceedings.
“The blunt chest trauma (on Adib) is not caused by himself (perbuatan sendiri) or (an) accident but a criminal act by two or more persons unknown, ” said the coroner.
On a separate matter, Comm Huzir said Bukit Aman is not ruling out the possibility of calling up more people in connection with a Facebook page that allegedly insulted Selangor Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah.
Asked whether former premier Datuk Seri Najib Razak would be among those to be called up, he said police would call any persons of interest if the need arose.
“We have already recorded the statement of Dewan Rakyat Deputy Speaker Nga Kor Ming, and he will be required to come again to Bukit Aman so that we can resume recording his statement, ” he said.
Prior to this on Monday, Deputy IGP Datuk Mazlan Mansor had said police were investigating the case following reports lodged over the “Nga Kor Ming Super Fans Page”, which allegedly insulted Sultan Sharafuddin.
It was reported that Nga, who is also Perak DAP chief, had said the Facebook page was not linked to him nor DAP but was masquerading as such.
In a statement, he said there were at least two “mirror pages” called “Nga Kor Ming Super Fans Page” and their content showed they came into existence from November 2018 to August this year.