Govt to disclose reasons of citizenship rejection


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 10 Oct 2019

CITIZENSHIP applicants will be given a reason should their applications be rejected, says Datuk Azis Jamman.

The Deputy Home Minister said this will be included in the ministry’s enhanced standard operating procedure (SOP) for citizenship under Article 15(a) of the Federal Constitution for individuals aged 21.

The improved SOP, to be implemented next year, will see applicants being informed why their applications have been rejected and the period for the application process.

“Before this, no reasons were given to those who had their applications rejected.

“Beginning next year, the time period to complete a process will be three months and 14 days at the National Registration Department (NRD) and eight months at the Home Ministry, ” he said in reply to M. Karupaiya (PH-Padang Serai) who asked the number of citizenship applications that have been approved under Article 15(2) and Article 15(a) of the Federal Constitution.

Azis said from 2018 to Sept 15 this year, 5,784 out of 24,466 citizenship applications had been approved with the highest being from Indonesia (2,028), India (548), Thailand (416), the Philippines (239) and Vietnam (130).

He said the citizenships were approved under Article 15(1), Article 15(2) and Article 15(a) of the Federal Constitution.

Azis also said there was no need for a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) to look into the syndicate selling Malaysian birth certificates and MyKad to foreigners in Penang.

He said police had full powers to investigate the matter.

“Investigations are ongoing. Several people have been caught and charged in court as well.

“However, the police cannot reveal more details now as investigations are ongoing, ” he said in reply to Datuk Ahmad Jazlan Yaakub (BN-Machang) who asked whether there was a need to change the existing system and operation for MyKad application to avoid identity cards being sold to foreigners from recurring.

Azis said the ministry had blacklisted 11 MyKads believed to be issued by the syndicate.

Over the past 10 years, the NRD has conducted seven operations to check such syndicates and eight individuals have been charged.

In the Penang case, six syndicate members, including a “Datuk” and an NRD assistant director, were charged in the Sessions Court last month. They were slapped with 32 charges.The syndicate reportedly made between RM100,000 and RM600,000 from selling identity cards to foreigners.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site