Cradle CEO murder trial: Security guard's testimony challenged by defence


SHAH ALAM: The testimony of a security guard in the murder trial of Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan (pic) was challenged at the High Court here by defence counsel L.S. Leonard.

Leonard argued that Raju Kumar Pandit had said that he did not remember many things linked to the incident, including the shape of the doorknob of the room where Nazrin was found dead or if the police had been called.

Leonard added that the Nepali was also unable to remember if a neighbour had come to the house before the arrival of the Fire and Rescue Department personnel.

This follows testimony last week from Raju Kumar, who had said that he had asked Nazrin’s widow Samirah Muzaffar if she had called the Fire and Rescue Department, and that he made the call when she said that she had not.

This was challenged by Leonard, who said during cross-examination on Friday (Sept 20), that it was Samirah who had asked Raju Kumar to make the call.

Leonard also questioned Raju Kumar's testimony that when he arrived at Nazrin’s and Samirah’s home, the upstairs window was closed and the window pane was intact.

Raju Kumar had also testified that he saw smoke coming out of the window.

“I put it to you that you cannot remember that the window was open and that a lot of smoke was coming out (from the window)," said Leonard.

Raju Kumar, however, disagreed with him before being questioned by Leonard on his testimony from last week that Samirah had been standing at the car porch and looking frightened when he arrived at the scene.

“I put it to you that when you arrived, Samirah had come out and stood in the garden in front of her house and was shouting and calling out for her husband and also went in to try to get him,’’ said Leonard.

Earlier in the day, a former criminal investigation department photographer told Judge Datuk Ab Karim Ab Rahman that he had been instructed to shoot pictures of Nazrin’s exhumation, second post-mortem and reburial.

Nazrin’s remains were exhumed and a second post-mortem conducted after a family member petitioned for it.

Shafie Abd Aziz - who is now retired - said that he had 112 pictures of the entire process.

Samirah, 44, and two teenagers, aged 14 and 17, as well as Indonesian national Eka Wahyu Lestari who is still at large, are accused of murdering Nazrin, 47, at a house in Mutiara Damansara, between 11.30pm on June 13,2018, and 4am on June 14,2018.

They were charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code read together with Section 34 of the same code, which comes with the mandatory death sentence upon conviction.

The two boys were granted bail of RM50,000 with two sureties by the Shah Alam High Court in March, while the Federal Court allowed Samirah bail of RM500,000 with two sureties in May.

The hearing continues next Friday.


court , Cradle Fund , Nazrin Hassan , murder

   

Across The Star Online


Air Pollutant Index

Highest API Readings

    Select State and Location to view the latest API reading

    Source: Department of Environment, Malaysia