JOHOR BARU (Bernama): Police have arrested a 35-year-old man for allegedly attempting to abduct a three-year-old girl at the Johor Baru City Square on Sept 9.
Johor Baru Selatan district police chief ACP Shahurinain Jais, in a statement Sunday (Sept 15) said the suspect was alleged to have approached the child and when he tried to take her away, he was stopped by her parents but managed to get away in a vehicle before police arrived at the scene.
The man was arrested Friday (Sept 13) at a house in Jalan Tombak 2, Taman Sri Tebrau here, following a public tip-off after the attempted abduction went viral on Facebook.
Upon arrest, the suspect told the police that he had been experiencing family problems and stress because his Vietnamese wife was planning to take their two children back to Vietnam due to many debts owed to loan sharks.
The suspect had wanted to take the toddler back to his home, with the intention of caring for her as his child, Shahurinain said, adding that the man had not admitted to any involvement in child abduction activities or a syndicate.
The suspect has been remanded until Sept 17 to facilitate further investigations. - Bernama
Did you find this article insightful?