DPP: We’ll prove CEO was murdered

  • Nation
  • Saturday, 07 Sep 2019

SHAH ALAM: The murder trial of Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan kicked off with the prosecution determined to prove that his death was intentional and not accidental.

Delivering the prosecution’s opening statement at the High Court here, deputy public prosecutor Datuk Raja Rozela Raja Toran said it would be proven that the technoprenuer was murdered on June 14 last year.

She said the evidence would indicate that Nazrin did not die in a fire in the master bedroom of his home, as initially presumed, on the day he was found dead.

“He died before the fire happened and the fire was intentionally created to hide the deceased’s actual cause of death,” Raja Rozela told judge Datuk Ab Karim Ab Rahman.

He said a second post-mortem conducted on Oct 8 at the request of Nazrin’s younger brother indicated that he died of blunt force trauma to the head, and that the prosecution would also prove this via the testimony of forensic medical specialists.

Raja Rozela said the prosecution would rely on Section 304 of the Penal Code to prove collective intent to kill.

In the dock are Nazrin’s widow Samirah Muzaffar, 44, and two teenaged boys aged 14 and 17.

Samirah, the two teenagers and Indonesian national Eka Wahyu Lestari, who is still at large, are accused of murdering Nazrin, 47,

at a house in Mutiara Damansara between 11.30pm on June 13, 2018, and 4am the next day.

They were charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code read together with Section 34 of the same code, which comes with the mandatory death sentence upon conviction.

The two boys were granted bail of RM50,000 in two sureties by the Shah Alam High Court in March, while the Federal Court allowed Samirah bail of RM500,000 in two sureties in May.

During the hearing yesterday, police photographer Kpl Mahadin Bakar, 42, testified that he had gone to the scene of the incident twice to take photographs upon the instruction of investigating officer ASP Mohd Nizam Harun.

The second witness, 39-year-old Kpl Nazrin Zakaria, also a police photographer, said he had also gone to the deceased’s office in addition to his house.

The third witness, 34-year-old Kpl Jumardi Musalim, 34, was questioned by lead defence counsel Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah on whether he remembered lifting fingerprints at another crime scene in Nazrin’s bedroom in 2015, adding that the victim had lodged a police report on Oct 1 that year regarding an incident in his house.

Shafee said in that incident, the bedroom walls were scribbled with red lipstick, a laptop was destroyed and the bedsheets, pillows and clothes in the wardrobe slashed.

At the onset of the trial, Justice Ab Karim ordered the charge to be read again and plea recorded.

The judge also cautioned the media against mentioning the boys’ names, publishing their photos or airing any visual of them as they were juveniles.

Samirah, the boys and several relatives, including her renowned political scientist father Dr Chandra Muzaffar, arrived in court at about 8.40am.

The mother of four wore a golden brown baju kurung paired with a black headscarf.

A minor commotion broke out when the hearing adjourned for lunch break.

Both the boys were unhappy with press photographers, who were taking photographs of Samirah, and blocked her from their view.

One of the boys shouted “Stop!” while someone else, believed to be from the defence team, called reporters at the scene “running dogs” as well as anjing (dogs).

After the proceedings, Shafee told the press that he would ask the boys to walk separately and away from Samirah.
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Across The Star Online

Air Pollutant Index

Highest API Readings

    Select State and Location to view the latest API reading

    Source: Department of Environment, Malaysia