Cradle CEO murder trial: Prosecution says will prove Nazrin died from blunt force trauma, not from fire

  • Nation
  • Friday, 06 Sep 2019

SHAH ALAM: The prosecution in the murder trial of Cradle Fund chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan says it will prove that the technoprenuer was murdered on June 14 last year, the High Court here heard.

When delivering the opening statement on the first day of the trial, DPP Datuk Raja Rozela Raja Toran said evidence will indicate that Nazrin did not die in a fire in the master bedroom of his home on the day he was found dead.

"The deceased died before the fire happened, and the fire was intentionally created to hide the deceased's actual cause of death," she said on Friday (Sept 6).

In making the speech in front of judge Ab Karim Ab Rahman, Raja Rozela said a second postmortem conducted on Nazrin's remains, upon his brother's request, indicated that he died of blunt force injury to the head.

"The second postmortem was conducted on Oct 8,2018, at the University Malaya Medical Centre and the findings indicated that the deceased's demise was due to multiple blunt impact to the head," said Raja Rozela.

She said the prosecution will also prove via the testimony of forensic medical specialists that the deceased's death was caused by blunt force impact to the head, and this type of impact can generally kill the victim.

In the dock are Nazrin's widow Samirah Muzaffar, 44, and two schoolboys aged 14 and 17.

Samirah, the two teenagers and Indonesian national Eka Wahyu Lestari, who is still at large, are accused of murdering Nazrin, 47, at a house in Mutiara Damansara, between 11.30pm on June 13,2018, and 4am on June 14,2018.

They were charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code read together with Section 34 of the same code, which comes with the mandatory death sentence upon conviction.

The two boys were granted bail of RM50,000 with two sureties by the Shah Alam High Court in March, while the Federal Court allowed Samirah bail of RM500,000 with two sureties in May.

In Friday's proceedings, the first witness was police photographer Kpl Mahadin Bakar, 42, who testified that he had gone to the scene of the incident twice to take photographs upon the instruction of investigating officer ASP Mohd Nizam Harun.

The second witness Kpl Nazrin Zakaria, 39, also a police photographer, said he had also gone to the deceased's office in addition to his house.

Earlier in the day, Ab Karim ordered the charge to be read again before the trial started.

Samirah, the two teenagers and a platoon of relatives, including her famous political scientist father, Dr Chandra Muzaffar, arrived at court at about 8.40am.

Meanwhile, a small commotion broke out when the proceedings adjourned during lunch break.

Both the boys were unhappy with press photographers who were taking photographs of Samirah.

One of the boys shouted "stop" while a young lawyer in the defence team allegedly called journalists at the scene "running dogs".

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Across the site