Four non-Muslim S'gor exco members meet Sultan to voice concerns over conversion Bill


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 08 Aug 2019

SHAH ALAM: Selangor’s four non-Muslim state executive councillors had an audience with Selangor's Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah following the plan to table proposed amendments to a Syariah enactment concerning the unilateral conversion of minors.

Sultan Sharafuddin consented to the meeting Thursday (Aug 8) and the four, led by senior exco Datuk Teng Chang Khim from DAP, had an audience with the Ruler at Istana Bukit Kayangan here.

The other three are V Ganabatirau and Ng Sze Han, who are also from the DAP, and PKR’s Hee Loy Sian.

The meeting, which lasted for about two hours, ended at about 1.05pm after which the exco members were seen leaving the palace.

According to sources in the know, the four had conveyed their concerns in the event the amendments are tabled and implemented.

Currently only Selangor, Sabah and Penang require the permission of both parents prior to the conversion of a minor child.

If the amendment goes through, only one parent needs to give his or her consent for a child below the age of 18 to be converted.

The amendments were proposed by the Selangor Islamic Council (Mais) and believed to have received the nod from the Selangor palace.

Mentri Besar Amirudin Shari has been severely criticised and a motion of no-confidence may even be mooted against him over the matter.

He was unable to table the motion during the state legislative assembly sitting last week when Speaker Ng Suee Lim postponed the session to a later date.

Sources say some elected representatives are angry with Amirudin because he was unable to see the tabling through and there are some who are angry with him for "agreeing" to allow the proposed amendments to be tabled.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

Cops arrest four over break-in at MBPP mayor's official residence
Dr Wee: All public transport services can operate during current MCO
FMM: Two-week lockdown extension could devastate industries
Covid-19: Two new clusters linked to Gawai celebrations detected in Sarawak
Malaysia will not send pilgrims for haj this year
Annuar: Mobile trucks to vaccinate market traders, workers, hawkers
Covid-19: Two people in 30s without recorded comorbidities among 76 new deaths
Lockdown in Sabah also extended to June 28, says CM
Covid-19: Govt seeking out UNHCR cardholders for vaccination
Several areas in Negri, Cameron Highlands and Sabah under EMCO, says Ismail Sabri

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers