Three chikungunya cases reported in Perak


IPOH: Three cases of chikungunya were reported in Kampung Baru Simpang Pulai last week, says Perak Health Department director Datuk Dr Ding Lay Ming.

He said the three people have all been treated and allowed to return home.

The three are 15-year-old girl and two men, aged 47 and 67.

Dr Ding said two of them sought treatment at a private hospital while one have been warded at the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital and added that there have been no new cases as of July 23.

"We have conducted various efforts to curb the outbreak. These included continuous checks and elimination of breeding grounds until now," she said in a statement on Friday (July 26).

Dr Ding said her team had conducted larvaciding activities, thermal fogging at 268 premises and ultra low volume (ULV) spraying at 350 premises.

"We've also held awareness programmes and plan to have a gotong-royong on July 27," she added.

Dr Ding said the vector for chikungunya was the Aedes mosquito and advised people to be vigilant when maintaining the cleanliness of their surroundings.

"Be sure to rid your homes of any potential breeding grounds for mosquitoes," said Dr Ding.

"People should wear bright long-sleeved clothing, long pants and use insect repellent when going outdoors, especially between 5am and 7am and 5pm and 7pm," she added.

"Please keep the windows and doors open when fogging activities are being carried out and if you contract a fever, seek treatment immediately," said Dr Ding.


   

Across The Star Online