Health Ministry: Ban 'ghost smoke' candy even if it is not harmful


PETALING JAYA: The Health Ministry did not find any forbidden ingredients in the controversial "ghost smoke" candy but product seizures were made because it violated labelling requirements.

"There were no forbidden ingredients but the product was seized because the content did not match what was on the label," said Deputy Health Minister Dr Lee Boon Chye.

He said that the candy had been analysed by his ministry and added that all of its ingredients were permitted for consumption.

However, he did not elaborate on its ingredients.

Dr Lee also said that the details of the importer and manufacturer were unclear and added that the Ministry remains firm in its decision to ban the product as it mimics smoking and could encourage children to take up the habit.

On Tuesday (July 23), Dr Lee revealed that the ministry had formed a task force to scrutinise the ingredients of the candy.

Meanwhile, enforcement personnel with the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry have also launched a nationwide crackdown on the confection.

Related stories:

Domestic trade enforcement officers seize 14 boxes of 'ghost smoke' candy

Health Ministry warns of stern action if 'ghost smoke' candies contain nicotine


nation , ghost smoke , candy , Health Ministry , ban

   

Across The Star Online