KUALA LUMPUR: It has been five years since Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 was shot down, and Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad is dismayed that the person who launched the rocket has not been found.
"We are sad as it was something done on purpose, but we do not know who launched the rocket.
"We know it was a rocket but we have yet to know who did it," said Dr Mahathir on the fifth anniversary of the MH17 disaster.
He was speaking to the media after launching the "Beyond Paradigm Summit" organised by Serba Dinamik Holdings at the Malaysia International Trade and Exhibition Centre on Wednesday (July 17).
The Transport Ministry in a statement released earlier in the day, said it would continue to pursue justice for the victims of the downed aircraft to ensure the perpetrators would be held accountable.
The aircraft was flying over Ukraine en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur on July 17, 2014, when it was shot down, killing all 298 people on board.
Investigators said it was downed by a BUK anti-aircraft missile by pro-Russian separatists in their conflict against the government in Kiev, Ukraine.
However, Dr Mahathir responded by saying that Malaysia was not convinced by the Joint Investigation Team's findings and demanded that the investigators provide proof that the Russians were behind the shooting.