SEREMBAN: Police have wrapped up their probe into the alleged sexual assault of a 12-year-old girl by a 65-year-old lorry driver and will forward the investigation papers to the deputy public prosecutor's office for further action.
State CID chief Wan Rukman Wan Hassan said the suspect's remand order, which expired on July 15, had been extended to July 22.
It has been learnt that the married suspect, who reportedly recorded the act on his mobile phone, may be charged in court on Thursday (July 18).
Asked if police had found any other recordings involving the girl or other victims in the two mobile phones belonging to the suspect, Wan Rukman said no.
“So far, there is only this recording, which went viral,” he told reporters here on Tuesday (July 16).
Police detained the man last Tuesday (July 9) while he was driving a lorry along the North South Expressway near Gopeng.
His arrest came after the victim's mother lodged a report at around 3pm on the same day she learnt of a viral video clip involving the victim and the suspect.
In the video, the victim is forced to perform sexual acts on a man in the backseat of a car.
The case is being investigated under Section 14 (a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017, which provides a jail term of up to 20 years and whipping upon sentencing.