KUALA LUMPUR: The state executive councillor accused of raping his Indonesian maid may be asked to take leave if the police investigations take too long, says Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu.
He said the swearing-in ceremony scheduled for Thursday (July 11) had been postponed because of the probe into one of his exco members.
"There are no criminal charges yet but if the investigation drags on too long, he may be asked to take leave," Ahmad Faizal told reporters at Parliament lobby Thursday.
Earlier, Paul Yong Choo Kiong's private secretary said that Yong would resume his normal duties on Friday (July 12) as he had been going to the police station the past few days in relation to the case.
When asked what the time frame would be, Faizal said he could not give a specific period.
"He’s still an exco member and can still come to the office. I have only postponed the important meetings," said Faizal.
Asked if it was best to limit Yong's work, Faizal agreed, saying that it was best not to interfere with police investigations.
"So for that purpose, if someone has power to make any decisions in an exco meeting, or other meetings involving housing, we might postpone all that, and he does not have to attend it," added Faizal.
In a statement, Yong, the State Housing and Local Government Committee chairman, unequivocally and categorically denied the "unfounded allegations" made against him.
“I reiterate my stand that I have never raped or sexually assaulted her.
“While I maintain my total innocence, I have given my full cooperation to the police and brought witnesses to assist the authorities in their investigations to prove that the allegations made against me are false,” he said.
Perak exco member Paul Yong back to work on Friday, says aide (updated)
Wanita MCA: Paul Yong must go on leave or be suspended