Post-mortem confirms three divers died from bomb blast


KOTA KINABALU: The deaths of the three divers in waters off Semporna have been confirmed to be from a bomb blast following the completion of post-mortem examinations done on their remains on Wednesday (July 10).

Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Omar Mammah said that the trio suffered from massive internal injuries and there were minor superficial injuries on their bodies.

"All three suffered similar injuries. This included fractures of the skull, their ribs were broken, internal bleeding in their lungs, abdomen and chest. The main aorta was also torn.

"The injuries are consistent with blast injuries," he told reporters here after launching an anti-Aedes campaign at the Kepayan state police headquarters here Wednesday.

He said the post-mortem was carried out by Queen Elizabeth Hospital pathologist Dr Jessie Hui at the Tawau district hospital on Tuesday and was completed at 5am Wednesday.

Comm Omar said that 12 people have been detained so far following investigations into the case, including the boatman and his assistant.

The cases have been classified as murder.

On July 5, local divemaster Ab Zainal Abdu, 30 and China nationals Zhao Zhong, 26 and Xu Yingjie, 26 were killed while taking diving lessons at a site off Pulau Kalapuan in Semporna waters.

The family members of the tourists arrived in Tawau on Tuesday and headed straight to the hospital where the post-mortem was being conducted.

The families are planning to cremate their bodies and hope to scatter their ashes at the site where they died.

The two tourists were the only children of their respective families and were close friends. Both were information technology engineering graduates.

Zhao Bao Hua, who was with his wife, said they needed to see their son Zhong for the last time before his body was taken to the temple for final rites and cremation.

"My son's ashes will be scattered into the sea at the location where his body was first discovered," the grieving Bao Hua told reporters on Tuesday (July 9).

He said although he accepted his son's death, it was a great loss to the family.

Zainal's father Abdun Jamarun, 50, said his son's remains would be brought back to Semporna, where he will be laid to rest at the Kampung Halo Muslim Cemetery.


   

Across The Star Online