IPOH: The Perak government will make a decision on any action to be taken against a state executive council member accused of sexually abusing a domestic worker after the completion of police investigation, says Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu (pic).
In a statement Tuesday (July 9), the Perak Mentri Besar said the state government takes such allegations seriously and hopes the people will allow the police space to conduct their investigations professionally and transparently.
Earlier, Bukit Aman Sexual, Women and Child Investigations Division (D11) principal assistant director Asst Comm Choo Lily confirmed that a police report was lodged.
It is believed that the report was made on Monday (July 8) by the alleged victim.
In a separate statement, Perak DAP chairman Nga Kor Ming said the allegation is serious.
"The party views the matter with grave concern. As a police report has been lodged, the party is of the view that no one is above the law and as such, we will leave it to the authorities to conduct a full investigation," said Nga, who is also DAP deputy secretary-general.
The swearing-in ceremony for Perak executive council members that was set to take place at Istana Iskandariah in Kuala Kangsar on Thursday (July 11) had been postponed.
The Perak Sultan's office issued a short notice on the matter to all press groups via the state Information Department on Tuesday.
It, however, did not mention the reason for the postponement but noted that a new date for the ceremony would be determined later.
The notice was issued shortly after news broke out that a state exco member is being investigated by the police for alleged sexual assault on an Indonesian maid.