Melaka floods: Number of victims increase to 745


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 07 Jul 2019

ALOR GAJAH, 7 Julai -- Tiga remaja terpaksa menggunakan meja untuk membawa keluar sebuah motosikal bagi mengelakkan daripada tenggelam akibat banjir kilat dekat Melaka Pindah, hari ini. Hujan berpanjangan awal pagi tadi telah menyebabkan beberapa kawasan di sekitar Alor Gajah ditelenggami air. --fotoBERNAMA (2019) HAK CIPTA TERPELIHARA

MELAKA (Bernama): The number of flood victims in Melaka rose to 745 people from 150 families at 2pm Sunday (July 7) compared with 141 people from 18 families earlier in the morning.

Malaysia Civil Defence Force (MCDF) Melaka director Lt Col (PA) Effendy Ali said six temporary evacuation centres (PPS) were opened.

"The six PPS were opened at Balai Raya Bukit Balai which recorded 34 flood victims from seven families, PPS Masjid Al-Rasyidin (166 people from 39 families), and PPS SMK Pengkalan (118 from 33 families).

"PPS SK Belimbing Dalam has also 50 people from 10 families, PPS Balai Raya Kampung Beringin (90 people from 15 families) as well as PPS Sungai Tuang (nine people from two families)," he told reporters here.

Effendy, who is also the Melaka Disaster Management Committee Secretariat head, said two PPS recorded an increase in the number of victims.

The number of evacuees at PPS Balai Raya Panchor increased to 117 people compared with 81 students and staff of the tahfiz centre on Sunday morning. The increase occurred when 81 victims from two families were transferred to the PPS.

Effendy said the number of evacuees at PPS Balai Raya Gadek also increased to 66 people from 17 families compared with 14 people from seven families.

The number of victims at two PPS remained unchanged, namely four people from a family at PPS SK Pegoh and 13 from four families at PPS Bukit Tambun. - Bernama


   

Across The Star Online