Cops still probing sex video scandal, says Muhyiddin


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 07 Jul 2019

Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin. -filepic

KUALA LUMPUR: Police are still investigating the alleged sex video implicating a Cabinet minister here.

 

Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said that the task force, set up last month, was investigating the matter and their work should not be interrupted.

 

"It (sex video) is still under investigation. We have not given any time frame for it to be completed.

 

"On the police level, a task force is investigating it, and we are not going to disturb their work.

 

"When they have concluded their investigations, they will inform me and Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador. We will then brief the Prime Minister," he said to reporters during a Police and Federal Territories Minister Hari Raya do at the Police Training Centre here on  Sunday (July 7).

 

The event was also attended by Abdul Hamid, his deputy Datuk Mazlan Mansor and Federal Territories Minister Khalid Abdul Samad.

 

It was reported that the investigation to ascertain the authenticity of the viral sex video implicating a minister is still ongoing, in accordance with guidelines set by the Attorney General's Chambers.

 

Abdul Hamid said that he would  not put any pressure on the special task force set up to investigate the case.

 

"They (task force) cannot carry out the investigation in haste as there are many things to be probed into and they are doing it accordance to the SOP (standard operating procedure).

 

"I cannot give the time frame when the investigations into the case will be completed because we are still in the process of gathering evidence," he was quoted saying.

 

Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz was booted out of PKR, three weeks after publicly confessing that he and the party’s deputy president Datuk Seri Azmin Ali were the two men in the viral sex video.

 

PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim had said the Santubong PKR Youth chief was expelled because he had accused the party leadership of corruption without providing evidence.

 

Anwar said the decision was made by the leadership after considering several recommendations by the disciplinary board, which he insisted was impartial and took no sides.

 

On June 12, after the first clip of the video was sent to PKR leaders and the media, Haziq claimed that the other man in the video with him was Azmin, who is also the Economic Affairs Minister.

 

Haziq also called on the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission to investigate Azmin for corruption but the anti-graft body has since cleared Azmin of the supposedly shady bank transactions in question.

 

Azmin has categorically denied any involvement in the sex video, dismissing the scandal as a “nefarious plot” to destroy his political career.

 

On June 14, Haziq, who was waiting for a flight to Manila, was arrested by the police at KLIA2 and released on bail a day later with permission to leave the country if he wished.

 

On June 19, Haziq was slapped with a show-cause letter by the party disciplinary board and given 14 days to respond.

 

The authenticity of the video has yet to be confirmed by the police, who has formed a task force, which includes Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission personnel, to probe the case.

 

On June 20, Haziq, 27, was sacked as the senior private secretary to Deputy Primary Industries Minister Datuk Seri Shamsul Iskandar Md Akin, who is PKR information chief.

 

On Saturday (July 6), Haziq said he would appeal against his sacking from PKR.


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online