Many tourists still keen on visiting Hong Kong


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 03 Jul 2019

Paper trail: Police officers walking past notes left by protesters on the walls of the government headquarters in Hong Kong. — AFP

PETALING JAYA: Recent protests in Hong Kong are unlikely to deter Malaysians from going as authorities there are capable of ensuring visitors’ safety, say tourism players. Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents (MATTA) president Datuk Tan Kok Liang said tourists had confidence in Hong Kong’s safety and security standards.

“Furthermore, this is not the peak season for tourism in Hong Kong. Peak season is from October to December,” he said.

MATTA honorary secretary-general Nigel Wong pointed out that Malaysians had not been changing their travel plans despite the political unrest there.

“MATTA has received no news of cancellations or concerns from its members. Neither have we received any travel advisories relating to Hong Kong.

“As such, for now it still seems safe for Malaysians travelling to Hong Kong,” said Wong.

Golden Deluxe Travel Service Agency Sdn Bhd operations manager Chong Kayee echoed the sentiment that Hong Kong was a safe destination.

“I don’t think visitors will have any problems there, but this is my personal view,” he said.

But Raha Legacy Holidays sales executive Farhana Aziz said there had been fewer inquires for tours to Hong Kong since the protests started, adding: “The current bookings we have were prior to the protests.”

She said two out of a group of eight, who were booked for a Hong Kong trip, recently changed their destinations to Guang­zhou and Shen­zhen in China.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site