Special needs school within construction mishap area in Batu Ferringhi to be relocated


GEORGE TOWN: A special needs school, located within the resort where a collapsed retaining wall killed four workers on Tuesday (June 25) at Jalan Batu Ferringhi, will be relocated.  

Penang Works, Utilities and Flood Mitigation Committee chairman Zairil Khir Johari said part of the collapsed wall was near a small classroom.  

"It was a school day and the landslide occurred at night.  

"The school has been closed after the landslide. It is moving to a new location in Pulau Tikus.  

"After this, the students will not be returning to this premises," he said at a press conference at the site in Tanjung Bungah Sunday (June 30).  

The centre, which started operations in 2012, is a learning centre for those with special needs, learning disabilities and from underprivileged families.  

Last year, about 120 students, aged between three and 21, were enrolled at the school.  

Besides the school and the resort, the 0.8ha of land has a community children’s clinic for the underprivileged.

Meanwhile, Zairil said the resort was also no longer operating until further notice from the Penang Island City Council.  

He, however, said the road has been reopened to the public.  

"We closed one lane after the landslide until the road could be re-stabilised.  

"Work was quickly carried out by the Public Works Department as this is a federal road.  

"As a whole, it is not completed as they have just done the sheet piling to stabilise the damage but the road can now be used," he said at a press conference Sunday (June 30).

Council engineering director A. Rajendran said these were early precautionary steps.  

"We want to make sure the landslide does not recur.  

"We have sent a notice under Section 70(A) of the Road, Drainage and Building Act 1974, and are carrying out investigations.  

"If the owner (of the resort) is found guilty, he faces a maximum jail term of five years, or a fine of RM50,000," Rajendran added.  

Last Tuesday, four Myanmar nationals were killed while they were building a retaining wall on the slope behind the centre.

Initial investigations found that the resort owner had contracted his maintenance staff to build a retaining wall after realising that the hill separating the resort and Jalan Batu Ferringhi had signs of erosion.

The worker then hired three of his friends to assist with the job.

No permission was obtained from the Penang Island City Council for the construction work.

 


   

Across The Star Online


Air Pollutant Index

Highest API Readings

    Select State and Location to view the latest API reading

    Source: Department of Environment, Malaysia