GEORGE TOWN: The owner of a resort along Jalan Batu Ferringhi may have been building walls on his own to prevent soil erosion for some time before a landslide struck, killing four foreign workers.
Penang Works, Utilities and Flood Mitigation Committee chairman Zairil Khir Johari said there were signs of such efforts but the authorities had never been informed.
“It appears to me like he had been doing it on his own, without informing the authorities,” he said.
Attempts to contact the resort owner for comments were futile as of press time.
On Tuesday, four foreign workers were buried alive in a freak landslide at a construction site in Batu Ferringhi at 9.21pm.
George Town OCPD Asst Comm Che Zaimani Che Awang said all four bodies had been recovered.
He added that three of the victims were discovered in a standing position while holding the metal poles for the retention wall while the other was leaning over.
He said the victims did not have any identification papers.
It is learnt that the resort owner had recently contracted a Myanmar worker called Ong to build a retaining wall after finding that the hill separating the resort and Jalan Batu Ferringhi showed signs of erosion.Ong then hired three other Myanmar nationals, to assist him.Checks found that the retaining wall, which was to be about five metres wide, had yet to be built but there were other retaining walls beside it.
The exposed slope has been covered with tarpaulin sheets to prevent further erosion.
PWD: Tragedy caused by slope instability
Experts: Human error could have led to landslide