Muhyiddin to name members of task force looking into abductions


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 26 Jun 2019

Meeting the press: Muhyiddin speaking to members of the media after the Immigration hari raya open house in Putrajaya.

PUTRAJAYA: The members of the Home Ministry’s special task force to probe the alleged enforced disappearances of Raymond Koh and Amri Che Mat will be revealed today.

Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin will make the announcement at the ministry here.

“We will reveal the scope of their duties, and they (the task force) will be given six months to investigate the case.

“Once the probe is completed, the findings will be presented to the Cabinet,” Muhyiddin told reporters on the sidelines of the Immigration Department’s Hari Raya do here yesterday.

The special task force was formed by the Cabinet last month following Suhakam’s verdict last April that Bukit Aman’s Special Branch was likely to be behind the disappearances.

The terms of reference of the task force would be based on the Suhakam report.

Amri, who is the co-founder of the non-governmental organisation Perlis Hope, went missing on Nov 24, 2016, after leaving his home in Kangar in an SUV at about 11.30pm.

Pastor Koh, who founded the NGO Harapan Komuniti, was believed to have been abducted in broad daylight by a group of men along Jalan SS4B/10 in Petaling Jaya on Feb 13, 2017, while on his way to a friend’s house.

The task force will likely begin the probe with Amri’s case as there is a pending court case related to Koh’s abduction.

Meanwhile, Muhyiddin said he would not interfere on the Registrar of Societies (RoS) complaint lodged by Pakatan Harapan Youth against Umno for allegedly accepting illicit funds.

The Parti Bersatu president said the matter is beyond his jurisdiction as it involves a political party.

“I will leave it to the relevant agencies to look into the case,” he explained.

“If it involves a political party, then it is outside of my scope.

“The RoS will look into it and investigate, as long as there is a solid basis to probe,” he told reporters here.

On Monday, Pakatan Youth had written to the RoS calling for action to be taken against Umno for allegedly accepting funds from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).

Last week, Malaysian Anti-Cor­rup­tion Commission chief Latheefa Koya revealed that Umno was the biggest recipient of money disbursed from ex-prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s personal account.

Umno was said to have received RM212mil out of the RM270mil of money believed to be from 1MDB, that had been disbursed to 41 individuals and entities.


   

Across The Star Online