KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission deputy chief commissioner has indicated that there are more entities involved in the commission’s civil forfeiture move to recover monies allegedly from 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).
Datuk Seri Azam Baki said more entities would be called over the matter but declined to elaborate.
“I will update on that later,” he told the press when met at the Kuala Lumpur Court Complex here on Wednesday.
Azam was asked to comment on a statement by Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng on Tuesday (June 25) in which he said he believed there were more entities – other than the 41 individuals and entities, named in MACC’s forfeiture claims list released last week – which had received monies from 1MDB.
Lim said several companies and various associations, including press clubs, were involved in taking 1MDB monies.
To this, Azam said the commission would call any parties that received the money.
“If we find there is basis or merit for us to call them, we will call. Not just the press clubs,” said Azam had earlier attended the proceeding against Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, who was slapped with seven new graft charges involving S$4.2mil.
He said that there had been companies that offered to return the 1MDB-related monies through their lawyers after the MACC filed a forfeiture suit against 41 individuals and entities.
“I can’t say more, I will inform later,” he said.
On June 19, the MACC filed a civil forfeiture against 41 recipients and entities to recover RM270mil related to 1MDB.
The monies that was disbursed to these 41 recipients and entities all came from former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak's personal bank account.
Did you find this article insightful?