Suspected Chikungunya cases increase in Kedah, 23 people hit so far


ALOR SETAR: The number of people suspected to have been infected by the Chikungunya virus in Kedah has increased to 23.

Kedah Health Department director Datuk Dr Norhizan Ismail said blood tests on the patients found 15 of them tested positive for the virus as of 5pm Sunday (June 23).

“Most of them received outpatient treatment in private clinics and are reported to be in stable condition.

“On Sunday, the Kota Setar district health department recorded an increase of nine cases of people diagnosed with matching symptoms such as fever, severe joint pain and rashes,” he said in a statement Monday (June 24).

Chikungunya fever is a viral illness that is spread by the bite of infected mosquitoes.


   

Across The Star Online