Bail denied to N. Korean facing extradition to the US


KUALA LUMPUR: The magistrates' court has denied bail to a North Korean national facing extradition to the United States on money-laundering charges.

Magistrate Noorshikin Sahat rejected 54-year-old Mun Chol Myong's bid to be released on bail due to the high chance that he might abscond.

She set July 4 as the next case mention date.

“If the respondent wants to challenge today’s decision, you can file a revision or notice of appeal,” she told Mun’s counsels Datuk Jagjit Singh and Datuk Akberdin Abdul Kadir on Monday (June 24).

Deputy public prosecutor Faizul Aswad Masri earlier argued that Mun’s case was not a normal criminal case, as it was not to determine whether he was guilty of a crime.

“In an extradition proceeding, it is to determine whether he should be handed to the requesting country (the United States).

“The court cannot simply grant bail as this case involves international matters,” said Faizul.

He added there were no special circumstances on which Mun should be freed on bail.

Jagjit and Akberdin had earlier argued that Mun was ill and needed medical attention.

Jagjit also argued that as relations between the North Korean and US governments were not at the best of terms, giving Mun up to US authorities would be akin to him “going into a den of wolves”.

Mun has been living in Malaysia for about 10 years under the Malaysia My Second Home (MMH2) programme.

He was nabbed by Malaysian authorities on May 14 and is due to be detained for 60 days until July 12.