PETALING JAYA: MCA has asked if the Pakatan Harapan Government will honour its promise of abolishing all toll charges made in the run up to the 14th General Election.
Party president Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong (pic) said that Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng should announce the timetable for the abolition of all toll charges, especially for the North-South Expressway, to prove that the promise of abolition of toll charges before the election was not to deceive voters.
"Does it mean that the abolition of toll charges of the North-South Expressway, which the DAP had promised at many ceramah before the election, will no longer be fulfilled? Instead, is it going to be replaced by congestion charges which is merely a rebranding exercise?" he said in a statement on Saturday (June 22) night.
Lim said the government would implement a congestion charge on these highways upon the takeover to enable the servicing of debts and operations as well as maintenance of the highways.
On Friday (June 21), Lim had said that the government has made a RM6.2bil bid to take over four highway concessionaires – a deal that would save taxpayers RM5.3bil in compensation to the concessionaires.
The four are Lebuhraya Damansara-Puching (LDP), Sistem Penyuraian Trafik KL Barat (Sprint), Lebuhraya Shah Alam (Kesas) and Smart Tunnel (Smart).
The government had earlier in February this year announced its intention to acquire the four highways as part of its election promise.
Lim further said that the takeover of the tolled highways would be financed through a special purpose vehicle (SPV) company under the Minister of Finance (Incorporated), a corporate body under MOF.