MCA denies knowing where 2013 funding from Najib was sourced from


PETALING JAYA: MCA says it has no knowledge where the funds it received from former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak back in 2013 was sourced from.

In a joint statement, Wanita MCA and MCA Pahang state liaison committee (SLC) said the party welcomed the civil forfeiture suit by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to recover funds related to 1MDB.

"Wanita MCA and MCA Pahang SLC have been listed, both Wanita MCA and MCA Pahang SLC welcome this move as it will enable us to clear our names in court.

"We hereby assert that Wanita MCA and MCA Pahang SLC had no knowledge, nor were informed as to the source of the funding received from the (former) prime minister before the 13th General Elections in 2013," it said in a statement.

Wanita MCA and MCA Pahang SLC said it had extended its full cooperation to investigations conducted by the MACC and police, and have furnished activities report to show the funds were utilised as intended.

"Wanita MCA and MCA Pahang SLC are seeking legal advice from our lawyers handling the matter to prove our innocence in court," it added.

On Friday (June 21), MACC chief commissioner Latheefa Koya said civil forfeiture action had been filed against 41 individuals and entities to recover RM270mil related to 1MDB.

Latheefa said the suit was filed at the Kuala Lumpur High Court on Wednesday (June 19) under the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001.


   

Across The Star Online