SERDANG: The names of members of the special task force to investigate the kidnappings of Pastor Raymond Koh and activist Amri Che Mat will be announced soon, says Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
The Home Minister said the matter was discussed in Cabinet, and it had agreed with the forming of the task force.
Muhyiddin said that they had already listed down some names for the task force, but had to ensure that the members would be impartial and dedicated in their investigations.
"That is why it has taken some time. The members will be announced at the soonest time. I have seen the names but I can't mention them now," he said during the Home Ministry's Hari Raya open house here on Thursday (June 20).
He also said that they would have to consult those on the list if they wanted to be part of the task force.
He said that once the task force has been announced, investigations are expected to take six months. A report will then be forwarded to Cabinet.
Susanna Koh, the wife of Pastor Koh, had recently said that she had not heard directly from Muhyiddin following his announcement on May 23 that a special task force would be formed to look into the findings by the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam).
Suhakam concluded in April that the Special Branch were likely behind the disappearance of Amri and Pastor Koh.
Muhyiddin said the terms of reference of the task force would be based on the Suhakam report.
Muhyiddin said they might start with Amri's case first, as there was a pending court case related to the abduction of Pastor Koh.
He said that they would pursue Pastor Koh's case once the court had come up with a ruling.
"We don't want to be in contempt of court. I think this is something his family members should know," he said.
Amri, the co-founder of non-governmental organisation Perlis Hope, went missing on Nov 24, 2016, after leaving his home in Kangar in an SUV at about 11.30pm.
Pastor Koh, who founded the NGO Harapan Komuniti, was believed to have been abducted in broad daylight by a group of men along Jalan SS4B/10 in Petaling Jaya on Feb 13, 2017, while on his way to a friend's house.
When asked about an extradition request from India on preacher Dr Zakir Naik, Muhyiddin said there had not been any request so far.
Prior to this, Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said that Malaysia would not bow to pressure from any quarters for Zakir to be sent home to India.
Dr Mahathir said it was Malaysia's right whether to send Zakir back or not, after the Indian government was seen as hard-pressed to detain him for alleged money laundering activities.