SEREMBAN: First, it was the Negri Sembilan Chinese Maternity Hospital (NSCMH). Now Datuk Lee Tian Hock has once again come forward to help save two other health facilities in the state – the Mawar Haemodialysis Centre (MHC), once reputed to be the country’s largest, and the Mawar Medical Centre (MMC) – whose operating licenses were revoked by the Health Ministry earlier this year.
Lee, who is Matrix Concepts Holdings Bhd group executive deputy chairman, decided to help out after MHC chairman Datin Chua Lay Ping reached out to him, and said that the company which used to manage both centres were facing liquidation due to unpaid debts.
“Datin Chua came to see me just before Hari Raya and sought my help to save the MHC and MMC.
“I finally decided to come in because this is a non-profit organisation set up to help many patients, especially poor dialysis patients,” he said at the MMC auditorium.
Lee helped to turn around the 87-year-old NSCMH, which was once mired in huge debts and poor business, by pumping in millions of ringgit.
He decided to help out as he had been associated with the MHC since the mid-1990s. He donated close to RM1mil to the MHC in its early years and extended a RM1mil advance last July when it ran into financial difficulties. (The MHC, also owns the then privately-run MMC).
Lee said Matrix Concepts had acquired a controlling stake in Sendi Hartamas Sdn Bhd (SHSB) last Friday, which had submitted an application for a license to manage both facilities to the ministry in March.
Once approved, the new set up would be known as Matrix Mawar Medical Centre. Lee said SHSB will also assume MHC’s liabilities estimated at RM33mil once the license is approved.
In return, MHC will grant SHSB the right to use the premises for the next 30 years on lease.
“While we wait for the approval, I would like to give a RM2mil advance to MHC out of my own pocket to pay the salaries of its 256 staff not paid since February,” he said.
The Health Ministry had sealed the premises that house both the MMC and the MHC on Feb 14 after the management informed its dialysis patients of the unit’s impending closure.
In November 2018, the ministry ordered the MMC to cease operations after all but one of its specialists resigned.