Property developer Matrix Concepts proposes to take over Mawar healthcare centres


SEREMBAN: Property developer Matrix Concepts Holdings Bhd has proposed to take over the operations of Mawar Haemodialysis Centre (MHC) and the Mawar Medical Centre (MMC) , which operating licence was revoked by the Health Ministry earlier this year.

MCHB group executive deputy chairman Datuk Lee Tian Hock said the developer, which acquired a controlling stake in Sendi Hartamas Sdn Bhd (SHSB) last Friday, would also submit an application for a new licence soon.

"Once we get a letter of no-objection from the Federal Land Commissioner, SHSB will submit a fresh application for an operating license to the Health Ministry," he said at a press conference on Tuesday (June 18).

The no-objection letter is a prerequisite as the land where the facilities sit on belongs to the government.

The MHC, a non-profit organisation and once reputed to be the country's largest dialysis centre, also owns the privately-run MMC.

Once approved, the new set-up would be known as the Matrix Mawar Medical Centre.

Lee said SHSB will also assume MHC's liabilities estimated at RM33mil once the licence is approved.

In return, MHC will grant SHSB the right to use the premises for the next 30 years based on a lease rental to be annualised at 4% per annum.

He said for the first 10 years, SHSM will pay MHC RM100,000 a month to rent the premises.

This will be increased to RM115,000 a month for the following decade and RM132,000 in the next 10 years.

"While we wait for the approval, I would like to give a RM2mil advance to MHC out of my own pocket to pay the unpaid salaries of its 256 staff since February.

"I would like to give an assurance to the employees that their salaries will be banked in by Thursday," he said, adding that MHC alone provides dialysis treatment to more than 300 patients.

Lee said the ownership of the premises, which was built using public donations and government grants, would remain with the MHC.

The Health Ministry had sealed the premises that housed both the MMC and the MHC on Feb 14 after the management informed its dialysis patients of the unit's impending closure.

The ministry moved in after the management wrote in to say it no longer had the funds to provide treatment or to pay its staff.

In November 2018, the ministry had ordered the MMC to cease operations after all but one of its specialists resigned.

Although it was given two months to sort out its licensing issues, the management failed to comply and its licence was revoked.

Last Wednesday, Lee who is also NSCMH Medical Centre chairman, had agreed to take over 11 Mawar Haemodialysis Centres in five states.

The centres, which provided treatment to some 400 patients and had been operating without a license, had run into financial difficulties.

The NSCMH Medical Centre has also agreed to pay the salaries of 91 medical and non-medical staff.