SEPANG: Datuk Seri Azmin Ali (pix) wants to give his statement to police on the sex video controversy as soon as possible, according to his political secretary.
Hilman Idham said the Economic Affairs Minister had directed his officers to give priority to the police’s request to see him, adding that the minister wanted the statement to be recorded by today.
He said the minister’s office had been officially informed by police on Sunday that they wanted to record a statement from Azmin.
“We are in discussion because Datuk Seri Azmin has ordered that this be given priority,” he told reporters outside the Sepang police headquarters yesterday.
Hiilman said the minister’s schedule for both days was packed and that his office was looking for a suitable time for police to meet Azmin, adding that the media would be kept informed.
Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz, who is the suspended senior private secretary to the Deputy Primary Industries Minister, had admitted that he was one of the two men in the sex video.
To a question, Hilman said there was no need to speculate on Haziq’s release from police custody.
“If Haziq has given his statement and police feel there was no need to remand him, it is their (police) decision. There is nothing to speculate on,” he said.
On Friday, Haziq was arrested at the international departure hall of the KL International Airport before his flight to Manila.
Bukit Aman CID director Comm Datuk Huzir Mohamed said Haziq was investigated under Section 292 (sale of obscene material), 504 (intent to provoke breach of peace) and 377B (carnal intercourse against nature) of the Penal Code as well as Section 233 Multimedia and Communication Act 1998.
Haziq was released from the Dang Wangi police station the following day.
Meanwhile, Deputy Inspector-General of Police Datuk Mazlan Mansor said police had so far recorded statements from 21 people in connection with the viral sex video, adding that 17 police reports were lodged.
“Many parties want us to conduct a thorough investigation. Trust (us), we will do this,” he told reporters after witnessing the handing over ceremony for the Bukit Aman Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CID) director’s post yesterday.
Comm Datuk Zakaria Ahmad took over from Deputy Comm Datuk Saiful Azly Kamaruddin, who had held the post in an acting capacity. Mazlan said police faced certain challenges in the investigation, especially as it involved a digital video.
“A task force consisting of the CID, Forensic Unit and Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission personnel is actively investigating and attempting to ascertain the authenticity of the video.
“We have to wait for the results of their probe,” he said.
Asked whether Bukit Aman would seek foreign assistance to determine the veracity of the video, Mazlan said so far they had not done so. He added that the public must give the police time to get to the bottom of the matter.
“We will not disclose every detail of the case as it might hamper investigation,” he said.
It was reported that police are expected to question Azmin, who is also PKR deputy president, over the sex video which went viral last week.
Haziq named Azmin in the sex video romp.
Azmin subsequently denied the allegations, calling it slander and a “nefarious plot” to end his political career.
On Friday, Haziq was arrested at KLIA2 en route to Manila. He was questioned and released on police bail on Saturday, with no restrictions to travel. Asked why Haziq’s passport was not seized by the police, Mazlan said there was no need to do so as Haziq had cooperated with the investigation.
“He is out on police bail and action will be taken if he violates the conditions of the bail,” he said.