Reports by FARIK ZOLKEPLI, M. KUMAR, TARRENCE TAN, FATIMAH ZAINAL, JADE CHAN and SARBAN SINGH
KUALA LUMPUR: Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz, who professed to be one of the two men featured in a sex video, has been released on police bail.
He was seen leaving the Dang Wangi district police headquarters (IPD) accompanied by his lawyers at about 5.45pm yesterday.
Police took him to Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL) earlier in the day where he underwent a medical examination in connection with investigations into the case that has transfixed Malaysians.
It was a frantic scene at HKL as media personnel crowded the place as early as 10am to catch the man who has been in the news since last week.
Haziq’s lawyers were seen at the hospital while their client was being examined.
Despite the press staking out at most of the exits near the hospital’s emergency ward, Haziq managed to give them the slip as he was taken to Dang Wangi IPD later in the afternoon.
His lawyer Ramesh Sivakumar said that Haziq was free to leave the country following his release on police bail.
Speaking to the press after Haziq was released from custody at the Dang Wangi IPD, Ramesh said no travel restriction has been imposed on Haziq.
“The investigating officer informed me that Haziq will not be remanded but is being released on police bail instead.
“He can go anywhere without restriction but if they need him to come back, then he will return to cooperate,” he said.
Ramesh said that his client was cheerful and in good spirits, adding that he cooperated fully with the police.
Haziq was arrested at the international departure hall of Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Friday when he was slated to leave for the Philippines.
Bukit Aman CID director Comm Datuk Huzir Mohamed said in a statement then that the investigation would be conducted under Section 292 (sale of obscene material), 504 (intent to provoke breach of peace) and 377B (carnal intercourse against nature) of the Penal Code, as well as Section 233 Communications and Multimedia Act.
In Kangar , Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador said police needed time to determine the authenticity of the sex video that had implicated a Cabinet minister
He said police had not obtained any leads yet.
Harian Metro quoted him as saying that the police would summon all parties in the video clips that showed two men engaging in sex acts to have their statements recorded.
He said this would include “the person who made the accusations and the individual being accused” to facilitate investigations into the case.
At the moment, he said, an investigation was ongoing and the police had yet to conclude “who was guilty”.
“Until then, I do not want to make any conclusions since investigations are ongoing,” Abdul Hamid said at the Perlis state police headquarters yesterday.