KOTA KINABALU: There were zero home break-ins for houses registered under the Ops Selamat campaign over the past month, says Datuk Omar Mammah.
The state police commissioner said in a statement on Friday (June 14) that this was based on observation and records of houses registered with the police for Ops Selamat in conjunction with Hari Raya Aidilfitri.
"We are pleased to say that throughout this season, no house break-ins were recorded for houses whose owners registered under the campaign organised by the police," he said.
Omar said for the same period last year, they recorded 99 cases.
On road accidents, police recorded a drop of 15% in cases from 811 in 2018 to 693 this year.
He added that the number of summonses issued increased to 25,179 this year from 20,105 in 2018, with speeding being the main offence at 8,612 cases.
"These accidents happen due to drivers' attitude on the roads where they speed, tailgate other vehicles, drive under fatigue and overtaking illegally," Omar said.
He said poor road conditions with potholes as well as drivers' failure to follow traffic rules such as beating the red light also contributed to the statistics.
Overall between January and June 12, Sabah police saw an increase in road accidents from 7,015 cases for the same period in 2018 to 7,804 cases this year.
"Of these, 121 people died in 2018 while 124 died this year," Omar said.