Op Selamat 15: 13 more road fatalities, death toll rises to 189


KUALA LUMPUR: Thirteen more deaths have been recorded as the Op Selamat 15 campaign hits day 11.

Royal Malaysia Police corporate communications head Senior Asst Comm Datuk Asmawati Ahmad said 177 fatal accidents occurred between May 29 and Sunday (June 8), resulting in 189 deaths.

The Op Selamat 15 road safety operation was launched on May 29 in conjunction with the Aidilfitri festive season.

"Statistics compiled by the Federal Traffic Investigations and Enforcement Department revealed the states with the highest fatalities are Selangor (33), Johor (28) and Perak (18)," she said in a statement.

She added that a total of 241,144 summonses had been issued during this period through 3,226 traffic operations.

"Traffic offenders in Selangor were issued 33,310 followed by 19,278 in Johor and 18,072 in Perak.

"A total of 501 break-ins were also reported during this period with 121 reported in Selangor, 51 in Sabah and 45 in Perak," she said.

Op Selamat 15, which ends on June 12, focuses on six major offences namely driving on the emergency lane, overtaking on double lines, using hand phones without the "hands-free" mode, queue-jumping, speeding and beating traffic lights.

 

Accidents , Op Selamat , Traffic , Fatalities