PETALING JAYA: My work here is done, says former Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief Datuk Seri Mohd Shukri Abdull on his decision to resign after heading it for one year.
In a press conference detailing the run-up to his resignation, Shukri said he came out of retirement with the intention to complete two unfinished businesses – from his 2016 tenure as deputy chief commissioner.
Firstly, he wanted to complete investigations into 1Malaysia Development Bhd and SRC International.
Secondly, he wanted to solve internal issues that divided the officers in the organisation.
Shukri said now that the “big fishes” accused of corruption had been brought to court and the MACC achieved a 91% conviction rate, his job was complete.
“These two issues were solved in six months. I have achieved my mission,” he said.
He now wants to return to a peaceful retirement.
“I appeal to the public to let me leave the MACC peacefully,” he said, calling for an end to the rumours.
“All accusations that I was fired are baseless.
“I never took any bribes or abused a single sen.
“Never in my life have I covered up for anyone or closed any files,” he said, adding that the MACC’s job was to investigate and leave the decision to the Attorney General’s Chambers to prosecute.
Shukri said his agreement with the Prime Minister was to serve for one year despite being given a two-year contract ending in 2020.
“I did not run away in shock or shorten my contract, nor am I being ousted or leaving the MACC high and dry,” he added.
He said he was first called to meet Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad on May 14, 2018 in Putrajaya where the premier told him “you start work tomorrow”.
Shukri said he had initially planned to turn down the position and proposed then Immigration Department director-general Datuk Seri Mustafar Ali as chief commissioner, but Dr Mahathir’s instruction took him by surprise.
“Spontaneously, I apologetically told him I will accept the job on one condition, I will serve MACC for only one year,” he said.
“I set a one-year condition because I was convinced that I could solve these two issues in six months to a year,” he added.
Shukri said three days later, then Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Dr Ali Hamsa contacted him and offered a three-year contract, which he turned down.
“Ali Hamsa said it was ‘tak cantik’ (not nice) to draft a one- year contract, so as a win-win situation, we agreed to a two-year contract.
“But I told Ali Hamsa that I will not necessarily complete the two-year term as I wanted to keep my one-year tenure promise to Dr Mahathir,” he said, adding that he was a man of integrity.
Having completed the 1MDB and SRC International cases, Shukri said he wrote a letter to Dr Mahathir on March 6, stating his intention to resign.
“I suggested shortening my contract effective May 1. I also listed my proposed successors, who were two MACC senior officers who could continue the vision and mission of the agency successfully,” he added.
Shukri said he did not receive a response from Dr Mahathir and continued his work until he was asked to have an audience with the Yang di-Pertuan Agong regarding his resignation on June 4.
“That was the day I found out they had selected my successor and confirmed it was an outsider,” he said.
Shukri said the appointment was a surprise as Latheefa Koya’s name was never brought up in his previous meetings with Dr Mahathir.
Nonetheless, he voiced his confidence in Latheefa and asked the public to support her.