KUALA TERENGGANU: Excitement is running high as people gather in droves to take a closer look at the first drawbridge in South-East Asia, which connects Kuala Terengganu and Kuala Nerus.
A check found that the intersection entering the 638m drawbridge was filled with cars from both directions.
As soon as the cone was lifted at 7am yesterday, motorists honked excitedly as they were among the first to set foot on the bridge.
Many visitors also stood by the side of the road to take pictures and videos.
Local resident Fauziah Jusoh, 42, said she came at 6am to view the drawbridge.
“When I learned that it would be opened today, I was excited. After performing subuh prayers, I quickly come here,” she said.
Another resident, 38-year-old Muhammad Sollehin Yunus, was happy as the travel time from his house at Seberang Takir to the city had been reduced to only 10 minutes.
“Before this, I had to take a longer route to Kuala Terengganu. Now, I only need to go through the roundabout near Pantai Teluk Ketapang and continue to the drawbridge to reach the city,” he said.
The drawbridge, which features two 16-storey tall towers, will open for a test run until June 17.
East Coast Economic Region Development Council senior manager Razlee Hassan said they estimated that 300 to 400 vehicles would use the drawbridge yesterday.
However, he said, the public were not allowed to walk on the bridge to take photographs as the pedestrian route was still closed.
“At the moment, pedestrians are not allowed as the bridge’s temporary opening is only for traffic trials and open to vehicles only to ease traffic congestion. We will announce the official opening date on June 17,” he said.
In conjunction with Hari Raya Aidilfitri, the surroundings of the drawbridge will be decorated with coloured lights from tomorrow to June 7. — Bernama