Ipoh mayor candidate withdrawing? Not true, says Perak exco


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 02 Jun 2019

IPOH: Rumours about the proposed candidate for Ipoh mayor withdrawing at the last minute is not true, says state executive councillor Paul Yong.

The State Housing and Local Government Committee chairman said all sorts of rumours had been flying about because the new mayor had not yet been sworn in.

“I can assure everyone that the candidate is still the same one.

“It's just that the process at the Public Service Department and the Public Service Commission is taking time,” he told reporters after presenting food boxes to the needy at a hall in Pusing, near here.

In April, Yong had said that a new mayor was set to be appointed soon after the last one, Datuk Zamri Man, vacated the post after having been absent without leave for "months".

He was reportedly unwell.

On the in-coming mayor, Yong said he had received several messages on his phone with people asking him if it was true that the candidate had withdrawn.

“It is the same candidate; there are no problems.

“We hope by July, the new mayor will take office,” he added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online