Trio of multinational IS militants nabbed

A team of E8 personnel detaining the Bangladeshi militant in Kuala Kedah recently.

KUALA LUMPUR: Three Islamic State (IS) militants, including two who swore allegiance to an IS leader, have been detained after anti-terror raids in three states, says Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador.

The Inspector-General of Police said the Malaysian, Indo­nesian and Bangladeshi men were nabbed by the Counter Terror­ism Division (E8) between May 17 and May 30 in Selangor, Kedah and Sabah.

“A 42-year-old Malaysian contractor was arrested at KLIA on May 17.

“He planned to go to Egypt to join the Sinai’s IS cell before heading to Syria,” he said yesterday.

Last year, the suspect performed the bai’ah (oath of allegiance) to IS supremo Abu Bakar Al-Baghdadi twice via Facebook, he added.

“The suspect is a staunch believer in Salafi Jihadi teachings, rejecting parliamentary democracy,” he said, adding he believed Muslims who took part in the nation’s elections were infidels and should be killed.

Abdul Hamid said the next arrest involved a 20-year-old Indonesian, believed to facilitate Indo­nesian IS militants transiting in Sabah before heading to southern Philippines.

“The suspect was arrested in Kenin­gau, Sabah, on May 26. He was a labourer and performed the bai’ah to Abu Bakar as well.

“He also sent funds to Maute terrorists in southern Philip­pines and planned to head to Syria soon,” Abdul Hamid said.

On May 30, a 28-year-old Bangla­deshi assistant ship mechanic was nabbed in Kuala Kedah.

“He had the chemicals and expertise to produce IEDs,” he said.

Abdul Hamid said the E8 was also looking for an Indonesian named Marwan, who escaped during the raid in Keningau on May 26.

“His last known address is at Kampung Keritan Laut in Keningau.”

The IGP urged anyone with information to contact E8 officer Insp Mohd Razizuan Mohd Razali at 017-327 8435 or any police station.

Meanwhile in Sepang, a farmer and a burger seller were charged with terrorism-related offences allegedly committed last year.

Muhamad Nuurul Amin Azizan and Muhammad Syazani Mahzan, both aged 27, allegedly went to Indonesia to commit terrorist acts.

Both nodded when charges were read out before judge Mohd Sabri Othman. No plea was given.

They were charged with committing the offence at KLIA2 at 6.55am on April 26 last year.


Across The Star Online

Air Pollutant Index

Highest API Readings

    Select State and Location to view the latest API reading

    Source: Department of Environment, Malaysia