Negri gives last chance to owners of illegal billboards


SEREMBAN: Owners of only 60 of 454 billboards put up illegally along the North-South Expressway (NSE) stretch running through Negri Sembilan have submitted applications to legalise them despite being given ample notice to do so.

State Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government and New Villages Committee chairman Teo Kok Seong said that since the owners had failed to respond, the authorities would start demolishing these structures after Hari Raya.

“We had given them till April 15 to submit applications to legalise the structures but the majority failed to do so.

“We are now giving them more time till Hari Raya failing which we will have no other option but to start the demolition exercise,” he said yesterday.

Most of these structures, he said, were built on government land.

Teo expressed regret that the owners had failed to heed the state government’s advice which intended to help them to legalise the structures.

“They make tens of thousands of ringgit in advertisement revenue but are not prepared to apply for a permit.

“This is really unfortunate,” he said, adding that the state had also been deprived of revenue.

The state authorities, he said, had already issued notices to demolish 177 of these structures.

Another 75 billboards would be brought down as they were not built to specifications.


   

Across The Star Online


Air Pollutant Index

Highest API Readings

    Select State and Location to view the latest API reading

    Source: Department of Environment, Malaysia