Adib Inquest: Coroner's court sets June 26 for continuation of case

  • Nation
  • Monday, 27 May 2019

Adib Mohd Kassim

SHAH ALAM: The coroner's court has set June 26 for mention of the inquest into the death of fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim.

Judge Rofiah Mohamad who sits as the coroner said this after lawyer Syazlin Mansor withdrew from the inquest today (Monday, May 27).

Syazlin was representing the Housing and Local Government Ministry, Fire and Rescue Department as well as the family of the deceased fireman at the inquest.

When asked by Rofiah whether the Housing and Local Government Ministry and the Fire and Rescue Department were withdrawing as interested parties, Syazlin said no.
"I was informed (by the Ministry) that they will remain as interested parties.

"I believe Attorney General (Tommy Thomas) will discuss with the Minister (Zuraida Kamaruddin) on the appointment (of a new counsel)," said Syazlin.

Rofiah said that she set June 26 to give time for a new counsel to come in, as the inquest could not proceed without a counsel for the interested parties.

She said this was also to give time to the Deputy Public Prosecutors to find a physics expert who can settle the dispute over the formula used to calculate the force of impact needed to cause Muhammad Adib's injuries.

The formula was a point of contention between the inquest's 24th witness, Dr Ahmad Hafizam Hasmi and the 29th witness, Dr Shahrom Abd Wahid.

In informing the coroner's court of her withdrawal from the inquest, Syazlin said that she believed that the appointment of Dr Shahrom as an expert witness was also void following her withdrawal.
Dr Shahrom, a retired pathologist, was brought in by Syazlin to assist with the inquest.

To this, Rofiah said that she will review the matter.

"I will review all the statements and will decide on June 26 whether (the court) will call him to testify again," she said.

When asked by the media on why she withdrew from the inquest, Syazlin said that she did not want to comment on the matter.

"I don't want to comment, ask the Minister (Zuraida Kamaruddin)," she said.

The inquest is held at the Shah Alam Sessions Court.

Muhammad Adib, 24, became critically injured in the early morning of Nov 27 after he and his team members from the Subang Jaya fire station responded to an emergency call at the Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman Temple where a riot was taking place.

The fireman was taken to SJMC after he was found injured, before being transferred to the National Heart Institute (IJN) for further treatment, where he later died on Dec 17, at 9.41pm.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Across the site