Foreign worker dies, two in hospital after inhaling toxic gas from manhole at Ipoh petrol kiosk

  • Nation
  • Sunday, 26 May 2019

The two victims being taken to the hospital on Saturday night.

IPOH: A foreign worker died while two of his colleagues are in a semi-conscious state after inhaling dangerous fumes from a manhole in front of a petrol station along the Ipoh-Lumut Road near here.

Meru Raya Fire and Rescue Department station chief Shahrudi Mohamad Halil said they received a distressed call at 7.40pm on Saturday (May 25), and reached the site five minutes later.

The three were carrying out maintenance work inside the manhole.

He said when the firemen arrived, members of the public had already pulled the three victims out of the manhole.

"While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, we provided medical assistance to the victim, a Bangladeshi in his 30s, but he had no pulse.

"The other two, another Bangladeshi and a local man were sent to the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital to seek treatment," he said.

He added that a Hazmat (hazardous materials) team was also deployed to the site to clean the area.


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Across The Star Online