DPM: We’ll leave molest case to authorities for now


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 26 May 2019

PETALING JAYA: Malaysians, from political leaders to ordinary netizens, are horrified that a former company CEO had been accused of sexually molesting his own children for years.

“This case is under the authority of the police and the hospital. So we leave it first.

“It sounds very serious, and if anything, we will push for action,” said Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail.

Dr Wan Azizah, who is Deputy Prime Minister and Women, Family and Community Development Minister, told reporters yesterday that the ministry would leave the case of the former telco chief executive officer to the police for now.

She noted that the allegations had previously been investigated but the cases were classified as NFA (No Further Action) after consultation with the deputy public prosecutors.

She added that the hospital involved had also previously facilitated discussions involving multiple agencies on the case.

“The case had been investigated before.

“The ministry takes very seriously any allegations of sexual abuse by anybody, especially people who are entrusted to look after them (the victims),” she said.

Dr Wan Azizah was responding to The Star’s front-page report yesterday about the former telco CEO who allegedly molested his children, with at least 15 police reports lodged by his ex-wife since 2015.

Both have joint custody of their two daughters and one son.

Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman also weighed in, tweeting: “15 police reports yet No further action.

“May justice come without fear or favour.

“Thank you @staronline for always being proactive in reporting sexual offence cases. Your good work through @thestar_rage has helped many innocent children against sexual predators,” he wrote.

The report has been shared over 300 times on social media.

The former CEO was arrested on May 16 after he allegedly trespassed into his ex-wife’s home and issued a death threat the day before.

He was released on police bail on May 19, a day before his four-day remand ended.

It is learnt that the two girls are currently still staying with their father while the boy is with the mother.

Bukit Aman Sexual, Women and Child Investigations Division (D11) principal assistant director Asst Comm Choo Lily confirmed that D11 had conducted investigations into the previous reports but the cases were classified as NFA by the DPPs due to lack of evidence.

She also said the cases would be reviewed if there were new evidence or allegations.


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online