KUALA LUMPUR: The anti-graft agency has opened at least 70 investigations papers into the alleged lorry protection racket case involving Penang Road Transport Department (JPJ) officers.
Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) deputy chief commissioner (operations) Datuk Seri Azam Baki said the probe was still ongoing, and would be completed once they finalised all the investigation papers.
"We have opened at least 70 investigation papers and this will take a bit of time to complete.
"I expect, before Hari Raya Aidilfitri, some of the cases can be brought to court," he told reporters at the closing ceremony of the anti-corruption training for officers of Thailand's National Anti-Corruption Commission here on Tuesday (May 21).
It was reported that several Penang JPJ officers had been hauled up to assist investigations into a protection racket involving transport companies and lorry drivers.
To date, MACC officers have picked up 79 people – 68 JPJ officers and personnel, two former Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) officers and nine civilians – since April 16 to assist in the probe codenamed Ops Sarat.
On April 24, former SPAD officers and a JPJ enforcement officer, were the latest to be remanded in connection with the case.
Sources alleged that the officers had been taking bribes since 2016 and the money collected could have amounted to more than RM80,000.
The enforcement officers were believed to have received monthly payments of between RM10,000 and RM32,000.
The payments were an inducement to not take action against lorry drivers who committed road offences.
It was also for tip-offs, which the companies and drivers received to alert them about JPJ operations.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!