“Whatever information that we have, we will send it directly to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to help in their investigation, and for them to act without any fear or favour,” he said.
Hishammuddin also said he welcomed the move by the Defence Ministry to report to the authorities on the land swap deals, which he claimed had been approved by the Cabinet since 1995.
Hishammuddin, who is Sembrong MP, pointed out that the report by governance, procurement and finance investigating committee (GPFIC) stated that seven of the 16 deals had not been signed.
“If the ministry is really against the deals, I suggest that they do not proceed with it,” he said in a statement on Thursday (May 16).
While questioning how the committee had come up with the RM500mil losses, Hishammuddin said a “far more serious issue” was the land swap involving 382.16 acres in Plentong and Tebrau in Johor, which was approved by the Cabinet in 1996.
However, according to him, the agreement was cancelled.
He said on Nov 2, 2015, the ministry had initiated a writ of summons and filed a statement of claim against the company at the Kuala Lumpur High Court.
When the company failed to adhere to the agreement in February 2017, Hishammuddin had ordered for a second summons to be filed against the company, seeking a compensation of RM1.48bil.
“The government should do a follow up on this and demand for RM1.48bil from the company for a failed project,” he said, without stating which project.
Hishammuddin said that throughout his service at Mindef, he had always placed the interests of the Armed Forces as priority.
“If it is true that the land swap mechanism does not bring any benefit to the Armed Forces, then the new leadership should look for alternatives that is effective and cost saving,” he said.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!